Are we done shopping yet?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I will post today's quickly, because I am tired and we have to wake up at 5:30 to be at the beach by 6:30 for the sunrise! Today we went to an all girls school. The building was very dilapidated on the outside, but the girls were still eager to learn and immersed in their studies. It makes me sad that the schools in America are all so nice and have such great resources, but our education is falling behind. Me and Sara went to a classroom to visit with first graders, and they clustered around us in two groups, and then proceeded to have what can only be described as a sing-off. Then the birthday girl gave me a candy that she was passing out, so the rest of the girls wanted to share their snacks with me as well. And you can't take one girls snack and not the others - because they were so excited to give them to me. So I ended up leaving with a handful of various crackers, cookies, and homemade sweets. I hope I don't get sick! The high school girls were not as exciting to work with - they were reluctant to speak with us. After we left we went to an Indian bakery and got slices of caramel cashew cake with fresh oranges and guavas. The oranges here are amazing! And we couldn't eat the guava yet, so the bus smelled like guava for the rest of the day. We are slowly but surely getting souvenir shopping done. It's hard because India doesn't really have the usual touristy things like key-chains and magnets. At least not where we have been. And most things are handmade, which is awesome, but a lot of times things are falling apart. We have an absolute jam-packed schedule tomorrow, so I will have more excitement to post. We ended with an Italian dinner, but my vegetarian lasagna was kind of cold by the time we got back to our room :( I think I will have to take a few Pepto's and go to bed! We eat them so much here we call them pink candies now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment