I'm Sick!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Blahhh I have a full blown cold. It has spread around our group because we keep trying each others food. And I left my Sudafed in Chennai, but Sara just gave me some. We woke up this morning around our typical 5AM, and the smog was just rising over Hosur. It is really pretty here though. Today we visited the TVS Academy, which is a private funded school and it was awesome. It has really pretty grounds, a large garden where they grow saplings, vegetables, and fruit (starfruit and pomegranate! -- we actually each got a starfruit, it was really sour), and property I can only describe as a wildlife preserve. I got sunburned and eaten alive walking through it, but it was pretty. The children are in school on saturday (older children), each doing a workshop in a different 'extra-curricular' area like art, music, or theatre. Their art studio was awesome, and the music was amazing too. Its a feat in itself that students are able to sit on mats for roughly four hours singing. This school really takes pride in raising well rounded students and it was a really awesome school. Indian school children are really smart and put alot of American students to shame. This school also had a library, which is rare in Indian schools. This school also places a significance on career aptitude, and they try and get kids to realize that they can achieve their goals without being doctors or engineers (which is what 98% of kids want to do).

After this visit, we rested, and then went up the hill to a 1000 year old temple to Shiva the destroyer. I am a little fuzzy on the details, because I am not well versed in Hindu, but I would really like to learn more. It was dusk-ish, so i took a few pics, but no pics in the temple. (not allowed). We went in and at each altar we were blessed by the temple priest, and given ash and red powder to put on our foreheads, and touched the offering flame.  Often we were given part of the offering like bay leaves or raisins. Towards the end of the temple, we were luck enough to witness a rare ceremony that includes transporting the idol (of Shiva or his wife?) through a golden chariot that we followed around the temple. We were also each given flower garlands to wear that had been offerings, which is a great blessing. Afterward we went to another temple to Vishnu, the protector. Haha we have many funny stories to share with that temple. Many mishaps due to us not knowing what we are doing throughout prayer. More on that later-- I'm too stuffy, and it will be boring without pictures.

We have all been talking a lot about how hard it will be to come back to the US, because no one knows what we have experienced except for us, and it will be hard to relate to a lot of things. Some things are even hard to tell, because you would really have to experience it to know what I am talking about. I'm not sure if that made sense.On a lighter note, the vanilla milkshakes we ordered are still sitting on their tray because we decided not to drink. It took forever to explain that we wanted them with no tap water, and I definitely found an ice cube in mine. Grr! It was yummy too. Guess I'll chew a pepto and call it a night!  I'm too tired I think. I will post some more pics tomorrow, we have a full day of shopping and sightseeing in Bangalore!

2 comments:

Rick Williams said...

I think it happens to everybody. New places, new faces, new germs. Still, it sucks.

You know you won't slow down or change anything because you have a cold though--your trip is a major lifetime event!

Unknown said...

My mom and I were actually just talking about that last night. About how its hard to come back to the USA after a long trip abroad. My mom had a hard time readjusting when she returned from three years in Saudi Arabia. Americans definitely take our luxuries for granted. And I'm ashamed to say that I am usually one of those people. But I'll try my best to understand your experience, so tell me everything!

Post a Comment