Indiannnn Wedding! :)

Friday, January 21, 2011

Thus marks my last full day in India. :(:( We are pretty much here all of Saturday though, and will head to the airport Saturday night. I will try to update this one more time before I leave! Today we went to our very last school, a school which spoke little english. The children were very sweet, but there wasn't much we could do. I really need to learn Tamil! We headed to Vidya's sister Brinda's house to get fancy Indian henna. I didn't eat anything all through today. I need American food. We came back to Niketana and put on our new silk sari's to get ready for dinner! That was a chore. I need to practice tying mine. We got in the bus, and as we were driving to our destination, we went past an Indian wedding. We have been trying all month to find a wedding and everyone was so excited because there were so many lights and the groom was sitting outside on a horse. Vidya ended up turning the van around and we got dropped off in front (embarassing). There was a red carpet laid out, and everyone ushered us in. It was as loud as a concert, and there were lots of young guys crazily dancing to drumbeats. Some of the girls taught us some Indian dance moves, and then we finally circulated back towards the ceremony place. The bride and groom hadn't made their way through yet - I actually didn't get to see the bride while we were there. But there were TONS of people! And it was so colorful and lively! It was totally different than any wedding I have ever been to. The brides dad came and welcomed us, and many people told us they were thankful to be in our presence. We tried to sneak out again but they wouldn't let us go without eating. We were astounded that we were actually welcomed into a wedding off the street, but Indian weddings are very large and they like to have many people attending. Vidya said it was probably because we were foreigners, so they know we are just wanting a cultural experience, and wouldn't do anything to hurt the wedding. It helped that we were perfectly dressed! It was really exciting. That's all for now! I will try and blog about my very last day tomorrow. I'm very sad :( I love India and will hopefully come back!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had an amazing trip. I'm very happy for you :) I can't wait to talk to you about it and get more details. And we can go through all of your pictures!

Post a Comment