Willkommen!

Monday, January 3, 2011


The first part of this blog entry was written on the plane: Well I am going on my eleventh hour of flying I think, but all these time zones are driving me crazy! I think it is early morning US time…and I really haven’t slept yet, so I am feeling kind of sick. [Dad- I was going to post this from the plane with their free wifi, but it is a peer-to-peer network and wont work. Why won’t it work? It’s working on everyone else’s laptops!] Germany is snowy and beautiful, and it makes me sad that I am here in Europe and I can’t explore it. Actually it was a little too snowy and cold, because they had to clean off our wings before take-off with this mechanical robot head, but we are at cruising altitude now and . I love Lufthansa though! The planes are nice and I have enjoyed their movie selection. On the way to Frankfurt I watched ‘Easy A’, ‘Life as We Know It’, and ‘Eat Pray Love’, not to mention an episode of Glee, Modern Family, and Desperate Housewives. And we got several rounds of drinks, there was free wine, and two meals. One was a gluey cheesy pasta dinner with a rice-salad and a brownie, and the breakfast was an omelet with these really disgusting potato patties. And we get two more meals this flight, but I’m not sure how much more of this food I can take – oh look we just got some salted almonds! I am already understanding the frustrations of a language barrier because all the PA announcements are in German first, and then English and it just takes forever and you never know what is going on. I wish I could speak some more German. I feel my native roots calling me back! Okay I’ll try and post again when I get to India. I hope I get wifi! 

Okaaay I'm here now! And I get a good wifi signal! So we got off the plane and stepped into humidity. It's pretty surreal being here, its kind of hard to describe. Everything about it seems different, and then there's that India smell! When we left the airport there is a huge gated lane you walk out of, and the rails of the lane were completely crowded with Indian people waiting for their families. It was like a mob scene...I kind of knew what to expect, but I didn't know that we would be hit with it so soon. On the way to our hotel, traffic was "good" because it was 2AMis; so swerving around buses and weaving in and out of lanes at 90 km was smooth sailing! We drove through absolute slums, it was kind of hard to see because its dark, but its even worse than I imagined. I am anxious to see it in the daylight. There is a lot of skinny dogs walking around and cats digging out of garbage cans too :( I haven't been able to take my camera out much because of airport security (its a hassle) [oh- and i got randomly selected to go to an additional security check in Germany for my laptop! I was scared they would toss it out]and the fact that its night. But I snapped a few pics. Tomorrow we are taking it easy and going shopping for our Indian clothes! So hopefully I will get some more internet time and relaxing time tomorrow to talk with some of you! There's a thirteen and a half hour time difference here, and it looks like nighttime will be the best time to talk. So you do the math because I'm too sleepy! 


(The lady in ^ that picture is Vidya - our professor guide)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Sarah, more written down then I thought you would at this point and time, hope you can get more pictures taken...I really doubt I'll be doing the daily picture blog myself..I know, I said I would try, but not feeling very inspired at the moment. Be safe!
p.s. your mom was wanting to know if you got sick on the flight, she said you usually throw up on liftoff..bluck

Unknown said...

Great blog sarah! The site looks really good. Sounds like your trip is pretty exciting so far. There's nothing like experiencing a culture completely different from your own. So soak it all in! Don't be afraid to try something crazy! Can't wait to hear more. I'm gonna subscribe ;)

Post a Comment