Sunrise on the Indian Ocean!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Yesterday morning we got up around five so we could head to the beach to see the sunrise. It was something we all had wanted to do, so we finally worked it out with Vidya and the driver. The beach was empty, with the exception of trash from the day before, and early morning walkers. On our way to the ocean, people were everywhere walking, and Sara referenced it to Night of the Living Dead. Which fits it perfectly! Every turn we made we ran into more people walking. This is one characteristic of India I don't think I have mentioned - they are big early morning walkers, and the sidewalks are usually crowded! The sky was a little smoggy, so when the sun rose we didn't get the rich colors we had hoped, but when the sun finally reached the top of the clouds it was really beautiful! There were several people doing yoga next to the water, so we did our own poses and took pictures. We spent some time wading, but there were these weird looking orange crabs scuttling around and that started freaking us out.

After we left, we went back to our hotel and got ready for a school visit. This school was a special education program which is located in a hospital. Special Ed is in its infancy in India, so we were prepped to see the worst, and ironically this is the best special ed school in the area. I would hate to see the worst ones, I don't even want to think about it. I won't say much until I can go over the few pictures that I took, but it was very hard to see. One girl was crawling around on her knees because she didn't have a wheelchair, and most of the children seemed to be spacing out because they didn't have immediate attention with an adult. The floor was dirty, and the bedding was reminiscent of a 1940's orphanage, and very stained. There was an adult area too that illustrates what I envisioned reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The whole experience made most of us feel sick, and my appetite hasn't been the same since. When you miss a meal it kills you!

We stopped by a shop, and then came back to Niketana to rest. In the evening, we walked to the Cream Centre Restaurant, and had a nice dinner. I got some chickpea curry, with a giant inflated ball of bread. You'll see what I mean. Everyone else got sundaes, but I am running low on rupees so I opted out. Little did I know Miles was paying! Ah well, something to look forward to when I get home!

0 comments:

Post a Comment